Having Your Rental Property Show Ready is Only Part of Being PreparedHave you ever found yourself at a rental showing appointment and realized that you forgot to bring the rental application(s)? How about meeting the prospect in the evening and realizing that you meant to replace some light bulbs to better see the unit?
Here are a few tips on having your rental "show ready":
- Make sure the unit is ready to be shown. Clean and empty, if unoccupied. Clean and neat if occupied.
- If showing an unoccupied rental, have all burned out light bulbs replaced, so evening appointments so prospects can see the property after work..
- Bring a can of air freshener. This helps, especially on units that are closed up or have odors.
- Have a container of disposable wipes and/or paper towels. Often while waiting for your appointment to show up, you may discover a need to wipe certain smudges or dirt.
- Make sure the front door is clean and if there is a screen or storm door, that the window is clean. It's always good to have a pack of Windex wipes with you too.
Here are a few tips on being prepared for your appointment:
- Remember the keys! In the excitement of having an appointment, it is amazing and how many people meet tenants at the rental only realize they forgot the keys! It can be an embarrassing waste of time.
- Have a supply of rental applications with instruction on how to submit the completed application unless it is submitted on the spot. You may also decide to have business cards, flyers or other handouts for the prospect.
- Remember to bring the prospects information and phone # with you in case you need to contact them in the event of delay or the prospect's lateness.
- It is a good idea to have a notepad for you to take notes and a supply of pens with you for applicants.
- Bring your cell phone. Not only for safety, but also in case of delays or other business reasons, such as checking with your office to reassure the applicant that the unit is still available.
- What other things can you use on an appointment?